Religion in Schools 04/26/2021 A topic that has always been interesting to me is the debate of whether or not religion has a place in schools. Many people feel very strongly about this topic and will continue to fight one way or the other. I personally was raised as a Christian and went to Church from a young age. I also went to public schools where religion was never part of the curriculum. I am happy that I was raised this way, however I think that I often end up curious or ignorant to other religions. I think that the question of whether or not religion should be taught in schools often points to the more polarizing idea of teaching one religion or another, I think that it would be beneficial though to teach the histories and core beliefs of many religions. This would help lead to more informed children as well as more inclusion. It also gives kids the opportunity to explore other worldviews that they may be interested in following. An article I read today also s...
Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl 04/28/2021 - I have read this book multiple times and find new things each time I read it. Today I read an article about the top three lessons to be learned by Viktor, who was a holocaust survivor. I will talk about two of the three lessons. The first lesson talked about here is "in order to survive, you have to be okay with dying at any moment." I saw this be helpful in getting rid of the fear of dying whenever, especially in concentration camps. Outside of this, it is beneficial to be okay with dying because you will live each moment in the present. Second, having meaning to your life will give everything you do and think meaning. Viktor thought of his wife every day in the camp, and that is what gave him the strength to endure the pain and trials each day. To have meaning will give your life some sense of direction and you must always revert back to it in everything you do. Most people have not figured out their life's mea...
Reflection on Overlapping Religions 04/26/2021 Today I was reading an article about the similarities and differences between the two major religions of Islam and Christianity. I personally am a Christian, but I find a lot of things very interesting regarding the overlapping of major religions such as these and also Judaism, which pretty much goes unsaid. The article I was reading highlighted 3 main points as the difference between Islam and Christianity. One being that Christians believed in the Holy Trinity, two: that they believed in the divinity of Christ (these two go very much hand in hand), and three: Christians believe Christ died on the cross. Islam rejects all these ideas and says that Christ was not divine and that he was taken up into heaven right before the crucifixion, but God tricked the Romans into believing that they had killed him. In most other ways however, the core beliefs are very similar, which makes it all the more surprising the kind of...
Comments
Post a Comment